15 October 2010-
As per the ayurveda science human body is made up of three basic elements or doshas namely Vata dosha, Pitta dosha and Kapha dosha. Amongst these three elements Kapha dosha
is known to be responsible for fat and obesity. Thus, if one needs to reduce weight, one should aim at reducing the Kapha element in the body.
The general diet composition for reducing Kapha would require the following things:
- The diet should have an average of 30-40% of whole grains.
- The diet should have an average of 20-30% of proteins deriving from both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian sources.
- The diet should have an average of 40-50% of fruits and vegetables.
Specific Dietary Recommendations
- For effective Kapha reduction, a person should avoid fatty foods, dairy product, ice creams, meats etc. Red meat should be specifically avoided.
- As for drinks, one should stick to hot drinks rather than cold ones. Different kinds of cold sodas and milk shakes should be swapped with teas or hot water.
- Extensive uses of spices like ginger, cinnamon, coriander and other hot spices can work well in reducing Kapha, thus, reducing weight. Interestingly, pungent, bitter and astringent tastes in your diet can reduce Kapha to a great extent. Sweet, sour and salty tastes should be avoided by all means.
- The diet should have ample amount of salads, beans, dry cereals and cooked grains. Consumption of foods with Vata and Pitta qualities would effectively increase those doshas in the body and can work a great deal against the increament of Kapha ; weight loss.
- One big meal a day is suggested. Have that meal as either lunch or breakfast.
- A glass of hot lemonade made with honey can work against unhealthy snacking. This particular combination of lemonade and honey helps in burning fat and keeping hunger at bay.